Don’t tell her I posted this… Today is Karina’s 18th birthday and this is her favorite soup. Also don’t tell her this is part of the 4 Hour Body diet. This soup is SOUP-er quick and easy! This feels less like a chili to me and more like a soup with beans.
Original recipe is from the Cooking Channel website found here.
Chicken White Bean Chili
- Rinse and drain beans before you begin
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed with a press
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Two 15 to 19-ounce cans white kidney beans (cannellini), rinsed and drained, I will often do a can of black beans and a can of white beans just for fun
- One 16-ounces of your favorite salsa, if you don’t like your salsa, you won’t like your soup
- One 14 to 28 ounces chicken broth or stock, depending on how thick you like it
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish, optional
- 1 avocado for garnish, optional
In a large pot, heat 1 teaspoon oil on medium-high until very hot. Sprinkle the chicken with 1 teaspoon salt. Add the chicken to the Dutch oven in two batches, and cook until the chicken is no longer pink, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes per batch, and adding 1 teaspoon more oil for the second batch. With a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a medium bowl once it is done.
After all the chicken is cooked, add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil with the garlic and onions to the Dutch oven, and cook on medium heat until browned, stirring occasionally, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the cumin, oregano, cinnamon and cayenne pepper, and cook 1 minute. Add the beans, salsa, broth and browned chicken, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and let the chili simmer for 15 minutes. To serve, garnish with cilantro.